Barbecued Round Steak Recipe
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pound beef top round steak, cut into four pieces
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1. In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt if desired and pepper; dredge the meat. In a large skillet, brown meat on both sides in oil. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the pan drippings, saute the celery, onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes. Combine the soup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and mustard; stir into the vegetables. Return meat to the pan. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (prepared without salt) equals 374 calories, 12 g fat (0 saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 735 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 38 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.