Barbecued Pot Roast
WHEN I was married 45 years ago, my mother gave me this recipe. I always prepared this dish when we had company because it never failed and was so good!
Through the years, it became one of my family's favorite meals, and now I still often fix it for just the two of us. Whenever I do, my husband and I get to enjoy the bonus of leftovers!
-Emma Nye, New Oxford, Pennsylvania
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Combine salt and pepper; rub over roast. Heat oil in a Dutch oven;
- brown roast on all sides. Add the tomato sauce, water, onions and
- garlic. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients; pour over meat. Cover and simmer for
- 3-4 hours or until the meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 518 calories, 28 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 147 mg cholesterol, 1,204 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 46 g protein.