WHEN I was married 45 years ago, my mother gave me this recipe. I always prepared this dish when we had company because it never failed and was so good! Through the years, it became one of my family's favorite meals, and now I still often fix it for just the two of us. Whenever I do, my husband and I get to enjoy the bonus of leftovers! -Emma Nye, New Oxford, Pennsylvania
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Combine salt and pepper; rub over roast. Heat oil in a Dutch oven; brown roast on all sides. Add the tomato sauce, water, onions and garlic. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients; pour over meat. Cover and simmer for 3-4 hours or until the meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Pot Roast in Reminisce January/February 1996, p47
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Barbecued Pot Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review