Barbecued Pork Sandwiches
"THESE delicious sandwiches taste even better if the pork is prepared a day ahead for the flavors to blend. We welcomed Mother's pork sandwiches for any occasion, but especially for our birthday celebration. We never wanted Mother to change that menu!"
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min. + simmering
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 5 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 16 each hamburger buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, combine the meat, onions, chili powder, salt if
- desired, water, ketchup and vinegar. Cover and simmer for 4 hours or
- until the meat is tender.
- Skim off the excess fat. With a slotted spoon, remove meat, reserving
- cooking liquid. Shred the meat with two forks. Return to the cooking
- liquid and heat through. Serve on rolls. Yield: 16 servings.
If Cooking for Two: Freeze in serving-size portions to have a quick and easy meal.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 497 calories, 19 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 162 mg cholesterol, 625 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 50 g protein.