Barbecued Pork Potpie Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 large Anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, grated
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 cups cubed cooked pork loin roast (2 pounds)
- 1 tube (11-1/2 ounces) refrigerated corn bread twists
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, celery, peppers and garlic in oil until tender. Add cumin and coriander; cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add vinegar and cook for 2 minutes.
- 2. Set aside 1/2 cup broth. Add the chili sauce, brown sugar, chocolate, Worcestershire sauce and remaining broth to vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and reserved broth until smooth; stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in pork. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 4. Roll out corn bread dough and cut into strips; twist and place over filling in a lattice design. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (2/3 cup) equals 332 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 1,058 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.