A last-minute decision turned out to be a real winner for Caroline Hall of Medford, Massachusetts. "Three days before the deadline for entering recipes at the local fair," she relates,"I decided to see if I could make this barbecue sauce. My family loved the recipe I created—and so did the judges. They gave it a blue ribbon! We now use the sauce on my pork and potatoes all the time."—Caroline Hall, Medford, Massachusetts
Recommended: 30 Pork Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 8 medium red potatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 pork tenderloins (1 pound each)
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the next 13 ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Set aside 2 cups for basting. Refrigerate remaining sauce for another use.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until partially cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Cut each tenderloin lengthwise into eight strips. Thread pork and potatoes on 10-in. metal or soaked wooden skewers, weaving pork around potatoes. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side. Baste with barbecue sauce. Continue turning and basting 10 minutes longer or until meat juices run clear and potatoes are tender. Yield: 8 servings (5 cups sauce).
Originally published as Barbecued Pork and Potatoes in Country Woman July/August 1998, p9
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Barbecued Pork and Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review