- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3-1/2 to 4 pounds each), quartered
- In a large saucepan, saute garlic in butter until tender. Add the next eight ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 30 minutes, turning occasionally. Baste with sauce. Grill 15 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reaches 170°, basting and turning several times. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Barbecued Picnic Chicken
"I love this recipe. I have been using it for years. I lost the little card it came on from the magazine. (I think my daughter threw it away) I use this for everything and anythingI BBQ. Enjoy!"
"So good! We just used leg quarters instead of a whole chicken cut up. & added a few more dashes of tobacco for a kick. Turned out perfectly! So delicious & easy! We will use this recipe again."
"Have been making this recipe since the 70's. Got it from a Betty Crocker cookbook. It has been our go to from the first time we made it. Now both my son and daughter make it when they BBQ. It is also good on ribs. We also do a quick "pre-cook" with the chicken and ribs"
"This is one of the best BBQ chicken sauces that I have tried. Definitely a keeper!"
"Priscilla, This is a wonderful recipe. I would not tweak or change one single thing in it. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it and this Friday 6 of our friends will sample this lovely recipe as well. I grilled my split oven roaster on the grill for about 25 minutes. Flipping sides after about 13 minutes . Then I hit it with some of the sauce and finished it up in the oven. I also reserved a small amount of the sauce to serve on the side if desired. It is a winning Keeper *Janie"