Barbecued Picnic Chicken
When we entertain friends for a picnic at our cabin, I like to serve this savory chicken. Cooked on a covered grill, the poultry stays so tender and juicy. Everyone loves the zesty, slightly sweet homemade barbecue sauce - and it's so easy to make.
-Priscilla Weaver, Hagerstown, Maryland
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Grill: 45 min.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3-1/2 to 4 pounds each), quartered
- In a large saucepan, saute garlic in butter until tender. Add the
- next eight ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove
- from the heat; set aside.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 30 minutes, turning
- occasionally. Baste with sauce. Grill 15 minutes longer or until a
- meat thermometer reaches 170°, basting and turning several
- times. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 296 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 761 mg sodium,