Barbecued Mushroom-Turkey Burgers Recipe
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 4 Bibb lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomato
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in butter for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and carrot; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add the wine, salt and pepper; simmer for 2-3 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- 2. Transfer to a large bowl; cool slightly. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 3. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill patties, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 8-10 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear, brushing occasionally with 1/4 cup barbecue sauce. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato and remaining barbecue sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
1 burger equals 371 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 926 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Barbecued Mushroom-Turkey Burgers
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.