Barbecued Lima Beans Recipe
Surprise! This lively lima bean dish has the great flavor of old-fashioned baked beans. Sweet and savory, they're a crowd-pleasing addition to picnics and barbecues, say Lois Johnson of South Hill, Virginia.
- 1 pound dried lima beans
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pancake syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Place beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discarding water. Return beans to the saucepan. Add 6 cups water, onions and salt; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until beans are tender.
- 2. Drain and discard liquid. Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, syrup, hot pepper sauce and bacon. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish or bean pot. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (1/2 cup) equals 163 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 480 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Reviews for Barbecued Lima Beans
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC