- 1 pound dried lima beans
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pancake syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discarding water. Return beans to the saucepan. Add 6 cups water, onions and salt; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until beans are tender.
- Drain and discard liquid. Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, syrup, hot pepper sauce and bacon. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish or bean pot. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Barbecued Lima Beans
"If you follow this recipe for cooking the beans, you will wind up with unrecognizable mush. Follow the directions on the package of beans instead. I substituted molasses for the the pancake syrup and the dish is still very sweet. Use a baking dish larger than 2 qts. if you don't want it to bubble over the sides. The end result is quite good."
"These were soooo good! My boyfriend had thirds! I love the way the maple syrup brings a sweet taste to these beans."
"OMG!!! These are the best. I never liked canned baked beans but did like homemade versions at potlucks. The recipe I have for baked beans is definately not low fat/cal. This one is great and even better tasting than the recipe I had been using. I used a reduced sugar pancake syrup and turkey bacon to reduce the fat/cal even more. This is my new go to recipe for baked beans. You do not miss the fat/cal with this one!!!."
"I just made these baked barbequed lima beans for dinner and they came out fantastic! Everyone loved it. Thank You!"
"This is absolutely the best baked lima bean recipe! My mom always made this and it brings back enjoyable family get-togethers. As mom always made hers without a receipe, I was delighted to find this again. Jackie Morrone, Gastonia, NC"