- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 packages (1 pound each) hot dogs
- 20 hot dog buns, split
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in butter until tender. Add celery, ketchup, water, lemon juice, sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cut three 1/4-in. deep slit on each side of the hot dogs; place in a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour the sauce over the hot dogs. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Serve on buns. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Barbecued Hot Dogs
"I've made these for years..was my grandmother's recipe. I do not put them in buns. I cut each dog down the center about 3/4 of the way. Mix all the ingredients and put the sauce in the center of each dog and what is left over I spread over the top and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. I make it a little different too...I only use 2 Tbsps of brown sugar and only chopped onions (omit celery) and I use apple cider vinegar and omit the water and omit the lemon juice..I do add a couple splashes of Nabisco sauce..the rest is the same ingredients. I do not cook the ingredients. I only soften the margarine in microwave for a few minutes). Kids love them (usually without onions so I make half with and half without -- I add onions at the end). ENJOY!!!!!"
"This is so easy to make, and it's a true crowd-pleaser. I was serving 20 people, so I doubled everything. Everyone loved them, young and old!"
"Made it just the way the recipe said and it tasted great! Easy and very flavorful! Definitely will make again."
"Back around 1996 my mother-in-law gave me the issue of TOH magazine in which this recipe first appeared. This recipe has been a family favorite every since. This recipe is frequently requested for birthdays and other family get-togethers."
"I've been making this recipe since my children were little. Even my daughter that doesn't like hotdogs loves this. Now I make it for my grandchildren. I've shared this recipe often. It's always a hit and so easy."
"Good idea but was too sweet."
"I use the Juicy Jumbo Hot Dogs and every one loved this recipe. Great taste."
"Words cannot begin to describe how delicious and simple these hot dogs are!!! My family, which is full of picky eaters, are united when this dish is on the menu. Bravo! :)"
"They are not for a family meal. Too spicy for the kids!"
"This is the perfect recipe for the starving college student. I made this multiple times for me and my roommates. It's cheap, easy and unbelievably delicious! I highly recommend this recipe!"