Barbecued Hot Dogs Recipe
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 packages (1 pound each) hot dogs
- 20 hot dog buns, split
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in butter until tender. Add celery, ketchup, water, lemon juice, sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cut three 1/4-in. deep slit on each side of the hot dogs; place in a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour the sauce over the hot dogs. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Serve on buns. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Barbecued Hot Dogs(13)
Sort By :
This is so easy to make, and it's a true crowd-pleaser. I was serving 20 people, so I doubled everything. Everyone loved them, young and old!
Made it just the way the recipe said and it tasted great! Easy and very flavorful! Definitely will make again.
Back around 1996 my mother-in-law gave me the issue of TOH magazine in which this recipe first appeared. This recipe has been a family favorite every since. This recipe is frequently requested for birthdays and other family get-togethers.
I've been making this recipe since my children were little. Even my daughter that doesn't like hotdogs loves this. Now I make it for my grandchildren. I've shared this recipe often. It's always a hit and so easy.
Good idea but was too sweet.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Sandwiches >
- Sauces & Toppings Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >