I came up with this recipe when I was just a teenager and have made it quite often since then. —Diane Widmer, Blue Island, Illinois
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Rub Cornish hens with butter; sprinkle salt and pepper inside cavity and over skin. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Baste hens with sauce. Bake 45 minutes longer or until juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting frequently. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Cornish Hens in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p69
Reviews for Barbecued Cornish Hens
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review