Barbecued Cola Chicken Recipe
- 1 can (12 ounces) cola
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 pounds each), cut in half
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the cola, tomato paste, onion, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Set aside 1/2 cup for basting; cover and refrigerate.
- 2. Carefully loosen the skin of the chicken; brush remaining sauce under skin. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Place chicken over drip pan and grill, uncovered, over indirect medium heat for 25 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear, basting occasionally with reserved sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 408 calories, 21 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 131 mg cholesterol, 225 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 42 g protein.
Reviews for Barbecued Cola Chicken
"Sauce very bland! Had to add seasoning and still didn't like it."
"I loved this, but my husband didn't really like the barbecue sauce. He said it was too bland for his tastes."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.