My husband is a diabetic, so I'm always looking for great-tasting recipes that are low in sugar and carbohydrates. To reduce the sugar content of this recipe even further, I use diet cola.—Mildred Dieffenbach, Womelsdorf, Pennsylvania
Recommended: Game-Changing Chicken Wing Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (12 ounces) cola
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 pounds each), cut in half
- In a small saucepan, combine the cola, tomato paste, onion, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Set aside 1/2 cup for basting; cover and refrigerate.
- Carefully loosen the skin of the chicken; brush remaining sauce under skin. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Place chicken over drip pan and grill, uncovered, over indirect medium heat for 25 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear, basting occasionally with reserved sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Chicken in Country Extra July 2002, p49
Reviews forBarbecued Cola Chicken
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 15, 2016
"Sauce very bland! Had to add seasoning and still didn't like it."
Reviewed Oct. 2, 2015
"I loved this, but my husband didn't really like the barbecue sauce. He said it was too bland for his tastes."