Barbecued Cola Chicken Recipe
- 1 can (12 ounces) cola
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 pounds each), cut in half
- In a small saucepan, combine the cola, tomato paste, onion, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Set aside 1/2 cup for basting; cover and refrigerate.
- Carefully loosen the skin of the chicken; brush remaining sauce under skin. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Place chicken over drip pan and grill, uncovered, over indirect medium heat for 25 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear, basting occasionally with reserved sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Chicken in Country Extra July 2002, p49
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Barbecued Cola Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review