- 2 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds each), cooked and shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon each salt, celery seed and chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Hamburger buns
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker or Dutch oven, combine all ingredients except buns. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours in the slow cooker or simmer for 1-1/2 hours on the stovetop. Serve on buns. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Barbecued Chicken Sandwiches
Sort By :
"Love this recipe. I cut the water down to 1 cup and used boneless chicken instead, to cut the fat."
"I cut the water in half after reading the comments. My family loved the recipe and I will definitely make it again. The recipe does need to be revise though, with 1/2 the amount of water."
"The recipe was easy to follow. I thought the ratio to liquid was fine. I felt as if it lacked the flavor I was expecting. While eating I realized I'd made it before and felt the same way. It's at least equal to the barbecued chicken you can purchase in the warehouse stores."
"If I could give this negative stars I would. what a waste of a chicken... followed recipe exactly as written against my better judgement. All that was tasted was the vinegar, it was bitter and sour and gross. i tried to get my husband to try it a second time the next night after trying to fix it and it was still inedible. don't waste your chicken!"
"A little too much water, needed a little more hot sauce."