- 2 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds each), cooked and shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon each salt, celery seed and chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Hamburger buns
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker or Dutch oven, combine all ingredients except buns. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours in the slow cooker or simmer for 1-1/2 hours on the stovetop. Serve on buns. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Barbecued Chicken Sandwiches
"I love making this recipe in my slow cooker. It is so good and very easy to make!"
"Love this recipe. I cut the water down to 1 cup and used boneless chicken instead, to cut the fat."
"I cut the water in half after reading the comments. My family loved the recipe and I will definitely make it again. The recipe does need to be revise though, with 1/2 the amount of water."
"The recipe was easy to follow. I thought the ratio to liquid was fine. I felt as if it lacked the flavor I was expecting. While eating I realized I'd made it before and felt the same way. It's at least equal to the barbecued chicken you can purchase in the warehouse stores."
"If I could give this negative stars I would. what a waste of a chicken... followed recipe exactly as written against my better judgement. All that was tasted was the vinegar, it was bitter and sour and gross. i tried to get my husband to try it a second time the next night after trying to fix it and it was still inedible. don't waste your chicken!"