Barbecued Chicken 'n' Rice Recipe
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Few drops hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1. In a saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add the next nine ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine rice and broth in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken and barbecue sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 55-60 minutes or until the rice is tender and meat juices run clear. Yield: 4 servings.
2 piece: 857 calories, 28g fat (9g saturated fat), 161mg cholesterol, 1542mg sodium, 93g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 55g protein
Reviews for Barbecued Chicken 'n' Rice
"The best thing about this recipe is that you can substitute ingredients and still get pretty close to the same flavor. It was definitely a kid favorite, but it really doesn't make a lot so you may want to double up on ingredients"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.