- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Toppings of your choice
- In a small saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Set aside 1 cup barbecue sauce to serve with burgers.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, oats, 1/4 cup of the remaining barbecue sauce, onion salt, garlic salt, pepper and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°, basting with 1/2 cup barbecue sauce during the last 5 minutes. Serve on buns with toppings of your choice and reserved barbecue sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Barbecued Burgers
"My husband made these for dinner tonight! They were great!"
"I thought the sauce needed a little kick, but other than that it was delicious."
"My son makes these at my request because they are awesome. The family raves over them too! It's a keeper!"
"Grilled these on a Big Green Egg. They came out perfect! The sauce was delicious and blended perfectly with the hamburgers. My two burgers didn't even make it to a bun because they looked and smelled so good. Highly recommend these."
"The sauce for these burgers was amazing! I made sure I saved some for future use. The sauce did make the burgers sweeter than we are used to so eating just one was enough. I will definitely be making these again!"
"Burgers are good. Sauce tastes like store bought...excellent!"
"Yummy & easy"
"It was very good! A bit on the sweet side so I added some vinegar and tobasco to the BBQ sauce. Hubby loved it and we'll definitely be making it again. Thanks for sharing. :-)"
"I came across this recipe and decided I just had to try it. I bought the ingredients today and rushed home to start making this delicious looking dish. The burgers turned out to be excellent but the sauce was way, way, way too sweet! I checked and rechecked to make sure I didn't mess up on the measuring but I didn't. I really don't see how anyone can stand the sauce as it is made. Maple syrup couldn't have been any worse. Needless to say, I will make the patties as described but that sauce is on the garbage list!"