Barbecued Brisket Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1. Place brisket in a large Dutch oven. Add 1/2 cup water. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the ketchup, vinegar, lemon juice, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cornstarch, paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper and remaining water. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Add Liquid Smoke; mix well. Drain drippings from Dutch oven. Pour sauce over meat. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until meat is tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving equals 287 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 536 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.