“This simple brisket recipe never fails me,” notes Joan Hallford of North Richland Hills, Texas. “I always hope there will be a few slices left over for sandwiches the next day.”
20 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 3-1/2 hours
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 fresh beef brisket (5 pounds)
- 2 to 4 teaspoons Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- Place flour in a large oven roasting bag; shake to coat bag. Rub
- brisket with Liquid Smoke if desired, celery seed and pepper; place
- in bag. Place in a roasting pan. Combine chili sauce and barbecue
- sauce; pour over brisket. Seal bag.
- With a knife, cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag. Bake at 325°
- for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until meat is tender. Let stand for 5
- minutes. Carefully remove brisket from bag. Thinly slice meat across
- the grain. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 4 ounces equals 159 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 23 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.