- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- Place brisket in a large Dutch oven. Add 1/2 cup water. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the ketchup, vinegar, lemon juice, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cornstarch, paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper and remaining water. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add Liquid Smoke; mix well. Drain drippings from Dutch oven. Pour sauce over meat. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until meat is tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Brisket in Taste of Home August/September 1995, p31
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Barbecued Brisket
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 15, 2011
"Didn't enjoy this one."
Reviewed Oct. 18, 2009
"My mom used to make this recipe for Sunday lunch and it is awesome! I'm so glad I found it because I'm going to make it again for my son's 1st birthday."