Barbecued Beef on Buns Recipe
My mother-in-law gave this recipe to me, and my family loves it. I like to serve it at buffet meals when company comes over.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 3-1/2 hours YIELD:15-20 servings
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Few drops hot pepper sauce
- Hamburger buns
- 1. Place beef, onion and celery in a Dutch oven; add water to almost cover meat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat; strain and reserve cooking liquid. Trim and shred meat; return to Dutch oven. Add 2 cups of strained cooking liquid (save remaining cooking liquid) and chill. Skim and discard fat. Add ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If mixture becomes too thick, add additional reserved cooking liquid. Serve on hamburger buns. Yield: 15-20 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 153 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 534 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC