- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Few drops hot pepper sauce
- Hamburger buns
- Place beef, onion and celery in a Dutch oven; add water to almost cover meat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat; strain and reserve cooking liquid. Trim and shred meat; return to Dutch oven. Add 2 cups of strained cooking liquid (save remaining cooking liquid) and chill. Skim and discard fat. Add ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If mixture becomes too thick, add additional reserved cooking liquid. Serve on hamburger buns. Yield: 15-20 servings.
Reviews for Barbecued Beef on Buns
"This was great as is. I'll definitely make it again."
"I simmered it for 3 hours and it wasn't tender and didn't fall apart easily. I recommend cooking a bit longer. Sauce was great, would make again."
"This is the best barbecue. Everyone in my familey just love it. My husbunds friends always say boy that smells good. (their way of hinting) so ofcourse I fix them a sandwich."