Barbecued Beef Chili Recipe
- 7 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 can (16 ounces) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. Combine the first five ingredients; rub over brisket. Cut into eight pieces; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the green pepper, onion, chili sauce, ketchup, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard; pour over meat. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove meat; cool slightly. Meanwhile, skim fat from cooking juices. Shred meat with two forks; return to slow cooker. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the beans. Cover and cook for 1 hour or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
1 cup: 302 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 1037mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Barbecued Beef Chili
"Excellent taste. I have made this several times with multiple requests for more"
"My family loved this! I made a couple adjustments. The brisket was a little too pricey for our budget, so I decided to try it with 2 lbs. of ground beef. Also, I only used 4 teaspoons of chili powder so it wasn't so spicy for my little one. We all loved it! Next time I might try a beef roast and shred it in place of the brisket. Highly recommended!"
"Very good chili!! Excellent with cornbread. Thanks for the recipe!"
"Wow is this spicy!!!! I can't serve it to my kids but my husband is going to love it. Very Tangy too yum!"
"I did not like this at all. I ate maybe three bites and threw it all out. Way too intense flavor for me; but it's obvious by the comments that most people loved it."
"This is a nice change to chili! I love the tangy BBQ flavor. Great with cornbread! It can be thickend a little with flour and served on a roll or bun. This is a keeper! YES! I'll be making it again! :-)"
"Perfect choice of meat, well rounded rub,just enough flavor's and ingredients to make a great sit down meal. If you have time try smokeing the meat for a few hour's and then follow recipe to the letter and you will be glad you took the time to make this A1+ chili. Eather way very excellent!!"
"meh, its okay. too..intense i suppose. Seemed like too much spices or something"
"I used 2 pounds of ground beef instead of brisket. I combined the first 5 ingredients with the ground beef in a skillet until browned. I then transferred to the slow cooker."