Barbecued Beans Recipe
Most members of my family would agree that no picnic is complete until these delicious beans have made their appearance. Preparing them in a slow cooker makes them easy to transport to any gathering. —Diane Hixon, Niceville, Florida
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 1 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 bottle (32 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1. Place beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans and discard liquid.
- 2. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine remaining ingredients. Add the beans. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Reduce heat to low and cook 8-10 hours longer or until beans are tender. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 220 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 762 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC