This tangy, hearty salad is a refreshing dish to serve at a summertime picnic. Mild spices blend nicely with the beans and garden ingredients. Be prepared to bring home an empty bowl. —Linda Ault, Newberry, Indiana
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 5 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large kettle, cover beans with water; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans; return to the kettle. Cover with water again and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Drain and rinse beans; place in a large bowl and cool to room temperature. Add the onion, peppers and corn; toss.
- In a saucepan, combine all dressing ingredients; simmer for 10 minutes. Pour over vegetables and mix well. Cover and chill. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Bean Salad in Taste of Home August/September 1994, p39
Reviews for Barbecued Bean Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review