My husband built me a patio planter for herbs, so I made a turkey burger featuring fresh basil. We add toppings like provolone, red onion and tomatoes. —Denise Miller, Greeley, Colorado
Recommended: Top 10 Burger Recipes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons mesquite smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats or oat bran
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 4 whole wheat or multigrain hamburger buns, split
- Optional toppings: sliced provolone cheese, red onion slices, sliced tomato, fresh basil leaves and additional barbecue sauce
- In a large bowl, combine basil, barbecue sauce, oats, garlic, garlic salt and pepper. Add turkey; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- On a lightly greased grill rack, grill burgers, covered, over medium heat 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°. Grill buns over medium heat, cut side down, for 30-60 seconds or until toasted. Serve burgers on buns with toppings of your choice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Basil Turkey Burgers in Taste of Home April/May 2016, p20
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Barbecued Basil Turkey Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review