Barbecued Baked Beans
To dress up convenient canned pork and beans, our Test Kitchen starts with bottled barbecue sauce, then stirs in brown sugar, vinegar, liquid smoke and spices. These hearty oven-baked beans will perk up your next summer picnic.
11 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in
- the next eight ingredients. Add the Liquid Smoke if desired.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until thickened
- and bubbly. Yield: 11 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1/2 cup) equals 205 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 656 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.