- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup honey barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 package (24 ounces) refrigerated mashed potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add turkey and onion; cook 6-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink, breaking up turkey into crumbles; drain. Stir in carrots, peas, barbecue sauce and ketchup.
- Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes over top; sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until filling is bubbly.
- Freeze Option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Barbecue Shepherd's Pie
Sort By :
"This was good as written. So many things to try with it. rebelwithoutaclue, your user name says it all. How about try this recipe & rate or don't try it & find something else to complain about! Like many others I am tired of those that complain about a recipe & they haven't even tried it! Notice in most cases the rest of the reviews are good too very good. Says a lot doesn't it?"
"Try using a small can of tomato paste with 1 cup of water. It reduces the sweet flavor. Also adds a little bit more moisture. I also added cheese bacon and scallions on the top. Was very good. !"
"This was so good, I can't wait to make it again. We used fresh carrots instead of frozen peas and carrots only because we didn't have them. We used reg barbecue sauce instead of honey barbecue sauce. Can't wait to make this for my father."
"I made mashed potatoes rather than buying them. I also put cheese on top. It seemed a little dry but still good."
"Awesome take on traditional Shepherd's Pie! My husband loved it. I did use instant mashed potatoes though instead of refrigerated. It turned out wonderful and I had it on hand."