Barbecue Sausage Skillet
"I came up with this when I had to bring a dish for a church supper," notes Janis Plourde from Smooth Rock Falls, Ontario. "I got a lot of compliments on iteven our teenage boys requested I make it again. I usually serve it over a mixture of white and wild rice.
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound Italian sausage links
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked noodles or rice
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer
- pink. Meanwhile, in another skillet, stir-fry the broccoli, onion,
- celery and red pepper in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the
- water, barbecue sauce, soup mix, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cut sausage into 1/2-in. slices; add to vegetable mixture. Reduce
- heat; cook uncovered, for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve
- over noodles or rice. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as