Barbecue Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds), trimmed
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2-1/2 pounds), trimmed
- 8 cups water
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into eight pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, pepper, chili powder and ground cumin
- 16 to 20 hamburger buns, split
- 1. Place the first 10 ingredients in a large roasting pan; cover and bake at 325° for 3-4 hours or until pork is tender. Remove pork roast; set aside.
- 2. Bake chuck roast, covered, 40 minutes longer or until beef is tender. Cut pork and beef into bite-size pieces. Strain pan drippings and set aside 1/2 cup sauce.
- 3. In a large Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, seasonings and reserved pan drippings. Add meat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 each: 299 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 805mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein
Reviews for Barbecue Sandwiches
"This dish is very tender. 16 to 20 servings is way too much at a time for just my husband and myself, so I freeze leftovers in 3 cup containers, just the right proportions for two. Thank you for sharing your recipe.Sincerely"