- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds), trimmed
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2-1/2 pounds), trimmed
- 8 cups water
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into eight pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, pepper, chili powder and ground cumin
- 16 to 20 hamburger buns, split
- Place the first 10 ingredients in a large roasting pan; cover and bake at 325° for 3-4 hours or until pork is tender. Remove pork roast; set aside.
- Bake chuck roast, covered, 40 minutes longer or until beef is tender. Cut pork and beef into bite-size pieces. Strain pan drippings and set aside 1/2 cup sauce.
- In a large Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, seasonings and reserved pan drippings. Add meat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews forBarbecue Sandwiches
"This dish is very tender. 16 to 20 servings is way too much at a time for just my husband and myself, so I freeze leftovers in 3 cup containers, just the right proportions for two. Thank you for sharing your recipe.Sincerely"