Barbecue Sandwiches Recipe
"This recipe makes the best barbecued meat sandwiches ever," enthuses Tina Wunker of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. "The combination of beef, pork and spices just can't be beat. The recipe makes a lot... but these sandwiches don't last log. The first time I served them, I was sure I'd have leftoverswas I ever wrong!"
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds), trimmed
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2-1/2 pounds), trimmed
- 8 cups water
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into eight pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, pepper, chili powder and ground cumin
- 16 to 20 hamburger buns, split
- Place the first 10 ingredients in a large roasting pan; cover and bake at 325° for 3-4 hours or until pork is tender. Remove pork roast; set aside.
- Bake chuck roast, covered, 40 minutes longer or until beef is tender. Cut pork and beef into bite-size pieces. Strain pan drippings and set aside 1/2 cup sauce.
- In a large Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, seasonings and reserved pan drippings. Add meat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Barbecue Sandwiches in Country Woman September/October 2000, p40
Reviews for Barbecue Sandwiches(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 7, 2009
This dish is very tender. 16 to 20 servings is way too much at a time for just my husband and myself, so I freeze leftovers in 3 cup containers, just the right proportions for two. Thank you for sharing your recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Sandwich Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Memorial Day Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Pork Recipes >