- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons plus 2/3 cup canola oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 tablespoons barbecue seasoning, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- Optional toppings: lettuce leaves and sliced cheddar cheese and dill pickles
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toss onion with 2 tablespoons oil and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper; spread in a single layer in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Roast 25-30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in 2 tablespoons barbecue seasoning. Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and the remaining oil, salt and barbecue seasoning until blended. Remove half of the mixture to another bowl; reserve for brushing burgers while cooking.
- Add beef to onion mixture; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into eight 1/2-in.-thick patties. Spread both sides of patties with remaining paste mixture.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°; brush with reserved paste mixture during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Serve on buns with toppings if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Barbecue-Glazed Sweet Onion Burgers
"Very good and good for winter when a BBQ craving hits but you don't want to freeze your buns. I used butter instead of canola oil because I don't use canola oil for anything."