- 1 fresh beef brisket (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- Hamburger buns
- Place brisket in a Dutch oven. Combine the next 10 ingredients; pour over brisket. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove brisket and discard cooking juices. Shred meat; return to Dutch oven. Add barbecue sauce and cook until heated through, stirring frequently. Serve on hamburger buns. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Barbecue Beef Brisket Sandwiches
Sort By :
"The note at the top of this recipe says "The secret to a good barbecued beef sandwich is in the sauce." Since one of the main sauce ingredients is simply listed as "barbecue sauce" with no hint of what type to use, I guess it is a secret."
"Regarding OhBarbi's comment, there isn't a marinade to this recipe. The brisket just cooks in a homemade sauce.We apologize for the confusion and it will be corrected here soon.Taste of Home Test Kitchen"
"The author mentions marinating. ? Are some of the first few ingredients, such as canola oil, etc., meant for a marinade?"
"I made this last night my husband loved it. I couldnt find the beef brisket so i used skirt skeak instead turned out really good."
"My husband used to fret so much while barbecuing briskets that I sought a recipe he could relax with and still be proud of the results. This is it. It makes the best sandwiches!"