The secret to a good barbecued beef sandwich is in the sauce. I learned that when a relative gave me her recipe after we enjoyed this delicious meal at her home. My family requests these sandwiches often.
- 1 fresh beef brisket (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- Hamburger buns
- Place brisket in a Dutch oven. Combine the next 10 ingredients; pour over brisket. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove brisket and discard cooking juices. Shred meat; return to Dutch oven. Add barbecue sauce and cook until heated through, stirring frequently. Serve on hamburger buns. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Beef Sandwiches in Country Extra March 1993, p49
Reviews for Barbecue Beef Brisket Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review