"I USED TO make Mama's beans from scratch, just like she did. But, one day when I was pressed for time, I resorted to canned beans and doctored them up a bit. To my surprise, this 'doctored dish' took first place in a contest! Of course, I've been preparing my beans this way ever since!"
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash ground cloves
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) pork and beans
- In a large skillet, cook beef with celery, onion and green pepper
- until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir
- in the brown sugar, ketchup, ginger and cloves. Stir in beans.
- Transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for
- 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until beans reach desired thickness. Yield: 8-10
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 178 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 449 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 9 g protein.