Barbecue Beans Recipe
"I USED TO make Mama's beans from scratch, just like she did. But, one day when I was pressed for time, I resorted to canned beans and doctored them up a bit. To my surprise, this 'doctored dish' took first place in a contest! Of course, I've been preparing my beans this way ever since!"
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash ground cloves
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) pork and beans
- In a large skillet, cook beef with celery, onion and green pepper until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in the brown sugar, ketchup, ginger and cloves. Stir in beans.
- Transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until beans reach desired thickness. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Barbecue Beans in Reminisce Extra June 1993, p47
Reviews for Barbecue Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 11, 2012
"We really enjoy these beans and this is the only baked bean recipe I use. I have made them many, many times since the recipe was printed."