"I USED TO make Mama's beans from scratch, just like she did. But, one day when I was pressed for time, I resorted to canned beans and doctored them up a bit. To my surprise, this 'doctored dish' took first place in a contest! Of course, I've been preparing my beans this way ever since!"
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash ground cloves
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) pork and beans
- In a large skillet, cook beef with celery, onion and green pepper until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in the brown sugar, ketchup, ginger and cloves. Stir in beans.
- Transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until beans reach desired thickness. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Barbecue Beans in Reminisce Extra June 1993, p47
Reviews for Barbecue Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 11, 2012
"We really enjoy these beans and this is the only baked bean recipe I use. I have made them many, many times since the recipe was printed."