Barbecue Bean Salad Recipe
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups tortilla chips, coarsely crushed, divided
- 1. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and discard liquid. Add water to cover beans by 2 in. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Rinse, drain and set aside. For dressing, in a saucepan, combine the vinegar, oil, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Cool slightly. In a large salad bowl, combine the beans, corn, peppers and onion. Just before serving, stir in dressing and half of the chips. Sprinkle with remaining chips. Yield: 14 servings.
3/4 cup: 216 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 365mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 9g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Barbecue Bean Salad
"Great flavor and easy to make. It can be easily made ahead without the dressing for serving to company. I made a recipe for 5 and used 1 can of pinto beans."