In a little Italian restaurant in Santa Cruz, my husband and I had an amazing soup with orzo. I tweaked it at home to make it healthier but kept the warm, comforting flavor. —Barbara Spitzer, Lodi, CA
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 cups coarsely chopped escarole or spinach
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook sausage, shallots and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Drain.
- Add broth to sausage mixture; bring to a boil. Stir in orzo, pepper and escarole; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until orzo is tender. Stir in parsley before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Barbara's Italian Wedding Soup in Simple & Delicious December/January 2016
Reviews for Barbara's Italian Wedding Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 2, 2016
"This is now my favorite soup! Love the flavor of the Italian sausage. It is easy to make & delicious. I will definitely be making it again, & again."