Bananas Foster Surprise Cupcakes Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4-5 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (12 ounces) hot caramel ice cream topping
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- Sliced bananas, whipped cream and turbinado (washed raw) sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the bananas, buttermilk, lemon juice and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture just until moistened.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cupcake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the filling ingredients. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a very small tip. Fill with caramel filling. Push the tip through the top to fill each cupcake.
- 4. For frosting, in a large saucepan, combine brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Stir in baking soda; cook and stir until smooth. Stir in butter and extract. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until chilled.
- 5. Beat frosting on high until thickened, about 15-20 minutes. Top cupcakes with frosting, banana slices and whipped cream; sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 389 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 284mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Bananas Foster Surprise Cupcakes
"Holy bananas! I've made these cupcakes twice now, with rave reviews from my taste testers. The first time I used homemade cinnamon caramel and added powdered sugar to the frosting so I could pipe it out--this was the best version. However, the second time I made them I stuck to recipe (with a little extra cinnamon to the caramel) and they were also pretty great. I have never added the whipped cream to the top, but the crunch of the sugar is fantastic. They do take some time to make, but aren't too hard. You could definitely just drizzle the caramel to make it easier. It says 24, but this easily makes more like 30 cupcakes."