Bananas Foster Sundaes
“I have wonderful memories of eating Bananas Foster in New Orleans, and as a dietitian, wanted to find a healthier version. I combined the best of two recipes and added my own tweaks to create this Southern treat.” Lisa Varner - Charleston, SC
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large firm bananas, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 3 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir
- in the brown sugar, orange juice, cinnamon and nutmeg until blended.
- Add bananas and pecans; cook, stirring gently, for 2-3 minutes or
- until bananas are glazed and slightly softened. Remove from the
- heat; stir in extract. Serve with ice cream. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/3 cup banana mixture with 1/2 cup ice cream equals 233 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 66 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.