Bananas Foster Sundaes Recipe
I have wonderful memories of eating Bananas Foster in New Orleans, and as a dietitian, wanted to find a healthier version. I combined the best of two recipes and added my own tweaks to create this Southern treat. —Lisa Varner, Charleston, South Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 15 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large firm bananas, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 3 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in the brown sugar, orange juice, cinnamon and nutmeg until blended. Add bananas and pecans; cook, stirring gently, for 2-3 minutes or until bananas are glazed and slightly softened. Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Serve with ice cream. Yield: 6 servings.
1/3 cup banana mixture with 1/2 cup ice cream equals 233 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 66 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC