- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground ginger
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2 medium firm ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- Optional toppings: cinnamon sugar, sliced ripe bananas and sweetened whipped cream
- In a large saucepan, bring water, milk and salt to a boil. Stir in oats; cook 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and let stand.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and spices; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add bananas; cook gently stirring 1-2 minutes or until bananas are glazed and slightly softened.
- Remove from heat; stir in extracts. Stir banana mixture into oatmeal. Spoon oatmeal into serving bowls; add toppings of your choice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Bananas Foster Oatmeal in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2015, p76
Reviews for Bananas Foster Oatmeal
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 23, 2017