Bananas Foster Bread Recipe
This moist, tender bread has all the flavors of New Orleans’ famous dessert. And the rum-flavored glaze on top’s amazing! —Christen Chalmers, Houston, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in 1/2 cup brown sugar and bananas. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in rum; set aside to cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, flax, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, yogurt, banana mixture and remaining brown sugar. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 3. Transfer to a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4. Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over bread. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice equals 189 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 181 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC