Bananas Foster Bread Recipe
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in 1/2 cup brown sugar and bananas. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in rum; set aside to cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, flax, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, yogurt, banana mixture and remaining brown sugar. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 3. Transfer to a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4. Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over bread. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice: 189 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1 fat
Reviews for Bananas Foster Bread
"We did not care of this bread and ended up throwing it away. In fairness, I did leave out the flaxseed, as I did not want to purchase a whole bag for one recipe. But according to the internet, it is typically used as a egg or oil substitute. Since this recipe call both, I am not sure its purpose. The rum flavored glaze was very strong and the center bread part was moist, but just ok."
"So moist and full of flavor! I did omit the flax. I used pecans grinded to a powder. Def a keeper!"
"My son's favorite dessert is bananas foster, so I had to try this. He really liked it. It is a great way to use up ripe bananas rather than the usual banana bread."
"Made this again and it was great. Definitely one of my favorites."
"Took it to a gathering and everyone wanted recipe"
"I substituted quick oats for the flaxseed and i did not put the glaze on top. I tried to get the bread out of the pan alittle too soon so it sort of split....but it still tasted pretty good. I will make it again (and let it cool longer!) and I am planning on trying whole wheat flour instead of white and I will put the glaze on it."
"I followed the recipe but used spiced rum which we had on hand. Came out great and mother in-law wanted recipe for a card club gathering next week."
"This was great. I made it for the family. My 19 month old just loved it."
"i forgot, i did however take out the flaxseed because we didn't have any, I just substituted flour for it."
"My whole family loved this bread! The next time I make it again I will add more rum for flavor and more bananas. But overall with the exact recipe it was very good."
"I love this recipe!! Healthy for you and and full of flavor; you just can't go wrong with this banana bread!"
"Very nice recipe. A different take on banana bread. I didn't have plain yogurt so I just used vanilla yogurt. I was just wondering if this freezes well."
"It was very moist and everyone ate it up. We had it for dessert."
"This bread was so delicious, my husband loved it. I substituted the yogurt with fat-free sour cream because I didn't have the yogurt on hand. This bread was so moist and the texture was tasty. This bread will be added to my recipes for gift-giving as well. I will definitely make this again."
"Could it be made without the flaxseed? Would you just add extra flour?"
"So moist! Very Good"
"I have been looking for a healthy version of banana bread and found this JACKPOT! It is so moist and delicious. My husband and kids could not believe it as a healthy recipe!"
"made these for gifts and had to make one for myself, it smelled so good coming out of the oven. The rum was a little strong, but overall very good."
"This was very good. I made it with whole wheat flour and fat free vanilla yogurt. It was not quite as moist as I had hoped, but that is probably due to not using white flour. I would make this again."