Banana Yeast Bread Recipe
Though our two children (now grown; we have one granddaughter) dislike bananas, they've always enjoyed this. It's been a standby since my grandmother shared the recipe before I was married. Cooking is fun for me...but I have to admit I would rather bake than make a meal. Yeast breads are my favorites! -Maralee Meyer, Milford, Nebraska
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. YIELD:28 servings
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5-1/4 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook and stir the milk, butter and sugar over medium heat until butter is melted; cool to 120°-130°. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, yeast, salt, 2 eggs, bananas and milk mixture; beat on low speed until combined. Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Divide dough in half; shape each into a round loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet; cut slits in tops. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Beat remaining egg with water; brush over the loaves. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 loaves (14 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 152 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 128 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC