Banana Streusel Pie Recipe
I obtained this recipe from my mom, who is a great cook. It's been in the family for years. We usually serve it at holiday meals - it's always a crowd-pleaser.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 4 cups sliced ripe bananas (5 to 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts or almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1. Line the unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of foil. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 2 minutes more or until pastry is golden brown; set aside. Reduce heat to 375°.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch. Stir in the pineapple juice, lemon juice and peel. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Fold in bananas; pour into crust.
- 3. For streusel, in a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, nuts and cinnamon; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the filling.
- 4. Cover edges of pie loosely with foil. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until topping is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 396 calories, 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 179 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC