Banana Squares Recipe
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Whipped cream and sliced bananas, optional
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; set aside. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg yolks; mix well. Add bananas. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Fold in egg whites. Fold in nuts if desired.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- If desired, garnish with whipped cream and a few banana slices. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Banana Squares(5)
Sort By :
Very tastey. I didn't want to share with others, but the people I did share with wanted the recipe from me.
I left out the nuts as they're expensive at the moment, but it turned out great.
This is our family's all time favorite way to use ripe bananas. Very moist!!
One of my husband's favorite things i bake is banana bread, and he likes these banana squareseven better. They are so moist and turn out beautiful every time. I only have to bake mine for 30min for perfect doneness, but it may be because I use a dark pan (?). Absolutely wonderful! A new family favorite!
I was looking for a recipe to use up some ripe bananas I had on hand and this is a winner! Because of food allergies in our home, I'm always modifying recipes to meet those needs. So I used almond milk in place of buttermilk, and 1 c. buckwheat flour with 1/2 c. rice flour in place of the all purpose flour. We will be having these yummy bars again!
I have been using this recipe for years (since it first appeared in Taste of Home magazine probably 10 or 12 years ago). It is a FAVORITE in our house. It is very moist and tops banana bread by a mile! My kids used to leave three bananas uneaten on purpose just so I'd make this! :-)
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bar Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Father's Day Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Super Bowl Party Desserts >
- Super Bowl Party Recipes >