- 2 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Whipped cream and sliced bananas, optional
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; set aside. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg yolks; mix well. Add bananas. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Fold in egg whites. Fold in nuts if desired.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- If desired, garnish with whipped cream and a few banana slices. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Banana Squares
Sort By :
"I made two batches of this. The first one came out fine, but the second took longer to make and seemed to not quite set in the middle. Hmmmm....but the flavor is nice. Not sure if I like this better than banana bread though."
"Excellent recipe and so easy. Moist and yummy, no fork necessary. My batch was done in 35 minutes. I'd check them at 30 next time. I'll be baking these again, loved by all."
"So good! Love it warm right out of the oven with whipped cream. I froze them in individual bars to have at a later time or else we might have eaten the whole pan!"
"Wow! What a tasty treat! This is quick and easy and a wonderful way to use up over ripe bananas. I didn't even put the cream cheese on and was still blown away by how flavorful and moist these were. This most certainly IS a winner!"
"This is the best banana cake I have ever tasted. It's so moist and flavorful. My husband even liked it and he doesn't usually like cake. I will make this again."