Banana Squares Recipe
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Whipped cream and sliced bananas, optional
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; set aside. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg yolks; mix well. Add bananas. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Fold in egg whites. Fold in nuts if desired.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- If desired, garnish with whipped cream and a few banana slices. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Banana Squares
Sort By :
Wow! What a tasty treat! This is quick and easy and a wonderful way to use up over ripe bananas. I didn't even put the cream cheese on and was still blown away by how flavorful and moist these were. This most certainly IS a winner!
This is the best banana cake I have ever tasted. It's so moist and flavorful. My husband even liked it and he doesn't usually like cake. I will make this again.
Very tastey. I didn't want to share with others, but the people I did share with wanted the recipe from me.
I left out the nuts as they're expensive at the moment, but it turned out great.
This is our family's all time favorite way to use ripe bananas. Very moist!!
One of my husband's favorite things i bake is banana bread, and he likes these banana squareseven better. They are so moist and turn out beautiful every time. I only have to bake mine for 30min for perfect doneness, but it may be because I use a dark pan (?). Absolutely wonderful! A new family favorite!