In Aliquippa, Pennsylvania, Elaine Anderson and daughter Elizabeth pack all the goodies that kids love in a banana split into moist muffins. "Elizabeth likes to help measure and mix everything together. Her favorite part is adding the cherries at the end," Elaine notes.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 maraschino cherries, halves
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, chocolate chips, walnuts, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine bananas and mayonnaise. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Press a cherry half, cut side down, into the top of reach muffin. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Banana Split Muffins in Quick Cooking November/December 1999, p42
Reviews for Banana Split Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review