This is an old standby I take to potlucks and other gathering. When I do, people ask, "Who brought that luscious salad?" It goes well with most foods but is especially good with ham.
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 2 cups water
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 8 large marshmallows
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup of juice; set aside. In a saucepan, bring water to a boil; remove from the heat. Add gelatin and marshmallows; stir until dissolved. Chill until partially set. Toss bananas with lemon juice; fold bananas and pineapple into gelatin. Pour into an 8-in. square dish. chill until firm. Combine the sugar, flour and salt in a saucepan. Stir in egg and reserved pineapple juice; cook and stir over low heat until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter. Cool. Fold in whipped cream; spread over gelatin. Sprinkle with pecans. Chill overnight. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Banana Split Salad in Reminisce March/April 1994, p53
Reviews for Banana Split Marshmallow Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 4, 2013
"Wonderful creamy and delicious salad"